The Anna arch was built in 1985 to commemorate the 75th birth anniversary of former chief minister C Annadurai inagurated by Hon’ble Dr.M.G.Ramachandran on 1st Jan 1986. The two grand arches is 57-feet high and was checked for structural stability in order to withstand cyclones. The arches were designed by Ganapathy Sthapathi and completed in a span of just 105 days.The arch is made of cement and is called sudhai. The arch marking the entrance to Anna Nagar, formerly known as Naduvakkarai, will soon make way for two flyovers and a subway.
Vivekanandar Illam – earlier known as Castle Kernan and Ice house before that, which is located in the right opposite to Marina on Kamarajar Salai.The Ice house – built in 1842 by Frederic Tudor who founded Tudor Ice Company, Massachusetts, US was actually a tower like structure built to store ice that is imported from US by the Tudor Ice Company.By 1880s, the Ice business of the Tudor Ice Company came to a close due to better way of making ice in India itself and hence the use of Ice House as a storage facility came to an end.
A 3.09 km-long railway line, initially used by the Integral Coach Factory (ICF) at Perambur for moving newly built coaches from shell to furnishing division of the factory, was strengthened at a cost of Rs. 7.29 crore for operating passenger services.Two new stations, namely, Padi and Anna Nagar, were built and 13 existing bridges were renovated and the work was completed in five months. The railway station and the EMU services were inaugurated by the then Union Minister of State for Railways, A. K. Moorthy.
The history of the well-known landmark on Anna Salai is the – Higginbotham’s, which is the country’s oldest surviving name in bookselling started with Abel Joshua Higginbotham. A stowaway on a ship who was left on the streets of Madras by an angry captain. Abel Joshua Higginbotham started his career in Madras by selling copies Bibles to Soldiers. Later he got appointed as a librarian in the Wesleyan Book Depository which was run by Protestant missionaries. However, the store suffered heavy losses and the missionaries who ran the business decided to sell their shop for a low price.
Marina Beach is situated along a 12 km shoreline in the city of Madras was the novel idea of Governor Mountstuart Elphinston Grant-Duff ( 1881-86) who though considered a administrator and a great admirer of natural beauty. It stretches, in all its glorious width, from the harbour to Elliot’s beach, beyond Adyar River along the Bay of Bengal which is part of the Indian Ocean.