Articles

Chennai Metro Rail

Being the 4th largest city in India with the population of the metropolitan area being about 8 million and vehicular population around 26Lakhs, till date Chennai is being served with the transport systems - Suburban rails, MTRS and MTC buses.

Chennai Metro Rail Limited - incorporated on 03 December 2007 under the Companies Act has now been converted into a Joint Venture of Government of India and Government of Tamil nadu with equal equity holding.

Fort St. George 375

Fort St. George, for the first fortified enclosure of the city was completed on April 23, 1640.This fort was named as St. George, after the patron Saint of England - It was also the day dedicated to this saint.This is the core from which our city grew.

A Special Postal Cover to mark 375 years of Fort St. George has been released today at the Fort Museum witnessed by - Dr S Suresh, INTACH TN Unit, Dr S Lourduswamy, ASI Head, Chennai, Moortheeswari, Head, Fort Museum, ASI.

Greater Chennai

Madrasapattinam or Chennapattinam were the name of old Madras. What was once a small port and trading centre has now become a residential, commercial, industrial and IT hub of South India. The fourth largest metropolitan in the country is developing on a lightning pace. With more and more areas coming under the cover of Chennai, greater importance and fast development is happening in the suburban Chennai.

Ezhilagam

A fine example of Indo-Saracenic architecture, Khalsa Mahal was one of the two structures that formed the core of the palace, which was taken over by the British in 1859.

A piece of history was lost when a major portion of the 244-year old Khalsa Mahal, the earliest example of Indo-Saracenic architecture, was damaged in a fire accident. Located inside the Chepauk Palace, it formed the core of the palace that was once home to the Nawabs of Arcot. The last such incident in this complex was in the Ezhilagam building in June 2010 when a fire broke out on its third floor.

Churches of Royapuram

Royapuram was `The town of Peter', deriving its name from the Tamil for Peter, `Rayappar' that has a beautiful church known as St. Peter's Church built in the year 1829 by the boat people of Christian Community migrated from Chepauk in 1799 the Customs House and Master Attendants's Office were shifted to Black Town from Fort St.

Pages